Posted by: L Pienaar | 2009-07-22

Slimming aid

I want to use Simply Slim as a slimming aid, is it safe for Type 1 diabetics?

Dear L
I cannot judge if Simply Slim would be safe for you to use because I don't know what it contains (there are hundreds, if not thousands of slimming products on the market, so it is impossible to keep track of all of them). However, the basic rule is that patients with type 1 diabetes should NOT use any over-the-counter slimming pills or products or replace their regular, balanced meals with slimming shakes, etc. This is because many of the ingredients of these slimming pills, including the herbal ones, can have potentially dangerous side-effects and/or interact with your medications. I would like to urge you to a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a diabetic slimming diet. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission.