Question
Posted by: Zodwa Mthethwa | 2009/12/09

slimming

i had a hysterectomy ovaries not removed 3 years ago and cant loose weight anymore

Dear Zodwa
Having a hysterectomy without removal of the ovaries should not have any effect on your ability to lose weight. You don't mention how old you are, so I can't judge if you may be in the menopause which can hamper weightloss. Other factors that can play a role include underactive thyroid function or insulin resistance. I would recommend that you ask your gp to test your female hormones, thyroid and insulin to determine if one of these hormones is lacking. One other factor that is often overlooked and which may be linked to your hysterectomy, is depression. Depression can cause pronounced weight gain or weightloss depending on the individual patient. If you are feeling depressed (possibly because of a loss of your ability to have children), then please mention this to the dr when you have your checkup.
To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 or more minutes a day.
I hope that you can identify why you are not losing weight.

1

Dear Zodwa