Question
Posted by: Pokkel | 2007-04-16

Q.

Slime in menstrual blood

I am having my period at the moment. My periods are regular, light-moderate flow, and I have little/no cramping and clotting. I use a menstrual cup during my period, which is a silicone bell-shaped cup worn internally like a tampon. This collects the blood and is removed, emptied, sterilised and put in again. I have been using this for over a year and I am very happy with it.

One of the advantages of using the cup is that you can analyse the blood. For the first time I realise how complex menstrual blood really is! It's amazing, althought a bit disgusting. I have seen something interesting: I see egg-white VERY stretchy slime with which the blood has mixed. And if I say stretchy I mean it, it really looks like ovulation mucus on steroids! You can clearly see bright-red 'veins' and smaller particles dissolved in it. The rest of the flow is a normal red. I always notice this especially during the first two days.

Can you tell me if this is normal? What is this- is it good, bad? I will see my gynae some time so must I mention it?

Expert's Reply

A.

Quite normal.

3
user comments

C.

Posted by: Pokkel | 2007-04-16

The menstrual cup is made out of silicone and looks like a bell in reverse. It's very soft and pliable so you don't feel it at all. It has a stem attached to it, to assist with removing it. I removed my stem completely, and no, it won't get lost, it stays in place. You fold the cup flat, push it into vagina, rotates it, and it opens inside. It should form a seal with the body. I never had an infection. You use it again and it last years, sometimes up to a decade.

Warning: it takes a lot of practice, it sometimes still leaks so I use a pantyliner (but even if it leaks the amount it keeps is impressive), it hurts a little bit upon removal, virgins will stretch/tear the hymen, it's not very comfortable to remove in public because you need privacy to clean it

Advantages: you cannot see it (no string visible), you cannot feel it at all, if it seals completely you can't leak and no odour, because you sterilise it (I use Milton, or boil it) you know it's clean, in the long-run you save money (no pads/tampons every month in the grocery basket), and it's good for the environment (one woman use 11,000 tampons in one lifetime)

I use the Mooncup from the UK, and there is a woman in the Cape who imports it. You can contact her at lunarhythm at gmail dot com, her name is Bronwyn Sherman or sometimes a Jessica responds. Or visit www dot mooncup dot co dot uk

Reply to Pokkel
Posted by: Dee | 2007-04-16

Also would be interested in where you get these cups. I hate pads and tampons are sometimes such a pain.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: NIke | 2007-04-16

where do you get this cup from and how much does it cost....

how does it look?

is it rubber, soft or plastic and hard?

Reply to NIke

Want to comment?