Question
Posted by: boo786 | 2010/11/09

slight crisis

Hey doc howzit? Its been a while going through abit of a crisis well the anxiety returned plus I''m writing exams so abit stressed I was on a maintence dose of 5mg of cipralex I''m now up to 10 again I don''t know if I''ve asked you this before but I really do feel I need a change in ssri I don''t get panic attacks anymore but sometimes thoughts or situations bring on an anxiety attack it seems like I have abit of GAD more than panic disorder. I''ve been on 10mg for 2 weeks it helps but I I feel lame no sexual interest another doc told me I should switch to luvox I don''t know if I asked you this but what''s your opinion? Spoke to my psych and he told me a change should be made after exams but I didn''t mention luvox to him what''s your thoughts?

howzit ? Zit's about where it was yesterday, thanks. What you describe emphasizes the reason for my routine advice that the best treatment for ANY form of anxiety or depression-related illness, includes but should not be limited to meds, and should include CBT-style psychotherapy / counselling.
Meds can be helpful in correcting significant chemical anomalies. But if one is getting anxious in relation to particular thoughts or events, maybe excessively so, medication alone is unlikely to resolve this - whereas CBT helps one to recognize and deal with such triggers, and to remove their power to rattle you, to cope better when mildly anxious or distressed, and to learn bwetter habits of thought in such situations.

1