Question
Posted by: Reception | 2010/01/27

Slender Wonder Diet

Hi Doctor, What do you think of the Slender Wonder Program? Is it a healthy diet? I gain weight very easy although I am not ' n very big eater, but can' t resist bread, cake and biscuits, what can I do to avoid them, I know it is wrong to eat bread etc. From 16h00 when I get home from work, I can' t stop eating. Is there something I can do to stop eating in the afternoons.

Dear Reception
I am personally not in favour of any diet that requires individuals to cut out whole nutrient groups. In general it is not bread or other carbohydrates that cause weight gain (carbs provide 16 kJ per gram), but the fats we add to them like butter, mayonnaise, cream, fatty meats, spreads, etc (fat provides 37 kJ per gram). It is certainly not wrong to eat bread. If you have such an urge to eat bread or other carbs after 16h00, then this probably indicates that you are not eating sufficient high-fibre, low-GI carbs during the day. An inadequate carb intake can lead to low serotonin levels in the brain which in turn can trigger cravings for foods like bread, sweets, chocolate, etc. By eating a low-fat, low-GI diet with a reduced energy content you should be able to lose weight successfully and not suffer from cravings or carb overloading in the late afternoon. Because it is quite a tricky diet to get used to, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide you through the initial stages. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. This is the diet that is being featured in Huisgenoot/You as a 'new' miracle diet, but it has been around for a long time and it works.

4
Posted by: kel | 2010/01/28

I agree that egg (protein!!!) in the mornings can help fill you up, but i don' t agree that you shold have two every morning since you' re meant to limit the number of eggs eaten per week to like 4 or something because of the high cholestrol content.

the low GI thing is the best way to go. things like fruit and nuts (although these are high in fat) and seeds (also high in fat) can be a great way to start the day, if eaten in moderation if you' re slimming.

Reply to kel
Posted by: John | 2010/01/28

When you are hungry after 16h00.
Did you have Breakfast?
Lunch?

Try 2 boiled eggs in the morning. If you are working, it is easy to take to work and eat at 9 or 10. Eat it slowly.

Late afternoon. eat tamato and cucumber. Cucumber is one thing that you can eat a lot of.

Reply to John
Posted by: Y | 2010/01/28

Slender Wonder is a starvation diet. My mother tried it. She lost 15 kg in 2 months but picked most of it up afterwards. This is because it is not possible to keep on eating next to nothing for the rest of your life. And it is also not possible to keep on paying for the injections and pills that keep you from getting hungry for the rest of your life - unless you are very rich of course. It is also not a healthy, balanced diet. People get conned into thinking it is good diet because you visit a doctor every 2 weeks to get an booster injection (this is besides the injection you have to give yourself everyday). My mother' s health also deteriorated after following this diet.

Reply to Y

Dear Reception