Question
Posted by: Meeta Gopal | 2012/04/17

Slender Wonder &  Liposculpture

Hi Doc,
I started with Skin Body Renewal Clinc the Liposculpture Package. Since 17 March 2012, I have been injecting myself with hCG and have been to two sessions of Lipodissolve and 2 sessions of Carboxy Theraphy. I am on full protein diet and have not eated any carbohydrates at all. It now been a month and there have been no weight loss and I have lost maybe only 2cm around my wait and hip area. I saw the doctor at the clinic over a week ago and she said that I should go off the Liposculpture package immediately and rather go on the Slender Wonder diet. I was further told by the doctor that the lipo package suits an individual who need to lose about 5-10kgs and not more because it will not be effective. I was asked to come to a group session for a talk on the diet, which I refused to go to as I have to work. I have remained on the diet until now but I somehow doubt that I have lost any weight. I am currently 87kgs and my ideal weight should be about 56kgs. I am 38yrs of age.
I really do want to lose weight. Am I doing the right things now or am I throwing away heard earned money. Please advise.
Regards,
Meeta
I have paid R10220.00 for the treatment and I am beginning to feel that I have thrown away hard earned money here.
I have been following all instruction to the ''T''

Dear Meeta
I am so sorry to hear about your disappointing experiences with the Skin Body Renewal Clinic, and the Liposculpture package. The use of HCG injections in otherwise healthy adults can be potentially dangerous as such treatments are only intended for male patients with fertility problems or children who are not growing normally. Our leading medical specialists such as Prof Tessa van der Merwe have warned that HCG treatment is dangerous and will not promote weightloss. That you had to pay R10,220.00 is also most distressing. The irony is that any weightloss you may experience would be caused by the low- or zero-carbohydrate diet they have put your on. These high-protein, high-fat diets do lead to weightloss, but most users tend to regain all the weight they have lost the moment they revert to normal eating. At the end of the day, it is less expensive and dangerous to use a well balanced diet and daily exercise to achieve your goals. For your own sake, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assess your situation and help you with a balanced slimming diet. In addition it is a good idea to join Walk for Life who will help you to gradually become fit and to do regular exercise. Yes, it entails a bit more money, but you are not achieving anything with your present setup and it is potentially harmful to your health.
Please take care

5
Posted by: Janine Oosthuizen | 2012/05/10

I am the manager at Skin and Body Renewal in Willowbridge Shopping Centre, Cape Town. We see at least 40 new patients every month going on to the Slender Wonder Program, with great results.

The program works with a hormone - HcG - which is injected daily. Patients inject 125 units of HcG per day. The amount of HcG used in fertilization treatments are 10 000 + units.
Injecting 125 units per day is purely instructing the body to utilize energy stored in fat for daily functions, as you are on a low calorie diet during the program.

The eating plan that you go on is NOT high protein OR high fat, and does include 2 portions of carbohydrates per day, 2 fruit portions, 2 protein portions, 2 vegetable portions and 1 protein shake.

The more weight you have to lose, the quicker weight loss will be. This does vary from person to person. If weight is not lost during the program, then we need to look into the reason why, and refer the patient back to one of our fully qualified Medical Doctors.

We have also been running a Weight Loss Challenge - Slender Challenge II, which finished last week Saturday, with fabulous results. The change in all the patients bodies and their confidence levels were astonishing. In Slender Challenge I that ran at the end of last year, the 30 contestants lost over 400kg''s between them in 12 weeks. The winner and final results of Slender Challenge II should be in tomorrow.

For more information on these challenges, please refer to our Slender Challenge Website where the contestants had to blog daily, and also have a look at their before and after photos.

Reply to Janine Oosthuizen
Posted by: Trisha | 2012/04/18

I just want to share that I have done the Slender Wonder diet at Skin Renewal but I had less than 10 kg to lose. I paid R600 for the HCG. I also bought a protein shake and some supplements. I stuck to the low calorie diet and lost 9 kg in 6 weeks. I had no side effects and hardly ever felt hungry.The HCG took away my appetite. Its been 18 months now, and I still have kept the weight off with the Slenderwonder stabilisation and maintenance programmes. I don''t know why Meeta was on a " high protein diet with no carbohydrates"  as Slenderwonder has carbs, protein, veg and fruit. It sounds to me that she did not understand the diet properly. But if Meeta has over 30 kg to lose I must say that I agree with Diet Doc that she should be seeing a dietitian and exercising.

Reply to Trisha | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anja | 2015/06/30

Hi trisha where did you go?

Posted by: Meeta Gopal | 2012/04/18

Hi Doc,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have mailed Skin Renewal to let them know how disappointed I am with the treatment I have received from their institution. I have also asked that they fully refund me failing which I will take legal action against them.
I will definitely go to a dietitian and take matters further from that.
Thank you.

Regards,
Meeta

Reply to Meeta Gopal

Dear Meeta
Please take care