Posted by: J | 2012-01-27

Good Day,

I am 27 years old and still sleepwalk, as a child I was always told I would grow out of the habit and yet it still occurs. Sometimes its what I call " semi-sleepwalking"  where I am aware of what I am doing (normally something strange,although it makes perfect sense at the time) and remember it in the morning. And other times it is proper sleepwalking where I only find out I have done it because things have been moved around. What causes this and how can I stop it.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

There are various types of "sleepwalking", depending on the stage of sleep that they happen. It may be useful to think of it like this: when we dream, our muscles become paralysed - that prevents us acting out our dreams. In your case, that system seems not to be working properly.

Various medications are used, generally to change that period of sleep, so that the walking no longer occurs.

The problem with this condition is that people have found themselves walking off a third floor balcony in their sleep. Doing that could spoil your whole day! However, it is also common enough that large hotels train their staff what to do when they find a guest sleep-walking down the corridors in the middle of the night!