Posted by: Janine | 2010-12-20

Sleepwalking 12yr old son

Hi Doc, my 12 yr old son sometimes talks (incoherently) or shouts in his sleep. More worrying is the fact that he has been sleepwalking for some months now, usually just getting out of bed or coming into my room. Last night as I had fallen asleep (he had jumped into bed with me), I heard a noise and woke up to find him standing on a chair in my room. He had opened the window and was leaning out of it! It''s two stories up and I am very worried that had he fallen out, he would have landed on a tiled courtyard two stories below. He has never done anything dangerous before, whilst sleepwalking. I called our GP who has recommended I see a Paed. Neurologist. I was divorced two years ago and don''t have a good relationship with his father because he doesn''t pay maintenance for my kids, so we do struggle financially. We are generally very happy, myself and my two sons, apart from this. We have just mived from a house (where I had three break-ins in a year) to a complex which is a lot safer. Is there a " stress"  factor which could be casing this?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Sleepwalking is quite common at this age, and in itself is nothing to worry about.

Of course, the concern is that he could hurt himself. Rather than put him onto medication at this age, it would probably be better just to make sure that danger areas are protected - put sturdy latches on the windows, for example, or burgler bars. Most children will outgrow this in a few years.

Posted by: Janine | 2010-12-21

Many thanks for your reassurance. I have read up on other websites and also notice that they mention a deficiency in magnesium could cause/ aggravate the sleepwalking - but this would have to be a huge deficiency in my mind, which I doubt my son suffers from. Can you comment on this? I will buy extra bananas anyway. Thank you.

Reply to Janine