Posted by: Mike | 2009-07-07

Sleep/tired - body or soul

hi expert. i' ve got a notion that i would like your opinion/view on. Someone told me that the reason we get tired and need sleep is because the soul leaves the body and that we sleep not because our bodies get tired but because our souls get tired and need a break from the physical world

What do you make of this. your thoughts on this would be great. Thank you.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

I dont think there is any evidence to support that.

What we do know, however, is that the brain is very active during sleep - sleep is not a time of quiescence. It is hard to imagine anything "leaving" the body, and having a brain electrically MORE active than otherwise.

But what you are asking is really a matter of religion, not of science. Perhaps your question would be better directed to your religious minister. The answer, however, would need to fit in with the physically observable facts.