Posted by: JoJo | 2009-01-19

Sleepless nights with puppies

I have 2 8-week old puppies and i' ve had them for a week. They' re very happy and are very settled, but at night they wake us up at about 4am scratching and whining and yelping. This goes on for about 30 mins until they realise we' re ignoring them and then they calm down and sleep again. But i' m exhausted!
And it' s hard not to go and check on them when they' re crying but i know if we do they jsut get excited and think it' s playtime.
They sleep with a hot water bottle and clock already and when they do sleep they sleep well, it' s just at about 4am that they decide to wake up.
What can i do to make sure they sleep all the way through? Or are they still too young?

Dear JoJo

Still a bit young to expect to go all through the night. You can try a DAP diffuser.

Posted by: Megs | 2009-01-19

I know exactly how you feel! When I got my border collie pup I was so exhausted I felt like I could sleep for days. They are still VERY young and therefore there isn' t much you can do to make them sleep throughout the night, make sure they are not to hot or not to cold? I know you said they have a hot water bottle but just make sure they don' t get to hot!

Also, ignore them! As hard as it is, you must do it. They need to learn that everytime they cry, they will not get what they want....just like children I suppose.

My pup slept in my room in his basket and was so good but toilet training kept me up!!! He now sleeps in the lounge on his blanket - no problem. It takes time, be patient.

Hang in there, it should come right. Puppies are hard work but enjoy then now too :)

Reply to Megs