Posted by: Carla | 2009-09-03

Sleepless nights

I recently got a wolf hybrid pup and I have to teach her to sleep outside now as she is growing at an alarmin rate!
Can anyone give me some tips on getting her to sleep outside and not howl the whole night and try to break off my door.

Dear Carla

Try a DAP diffuser in the kennel outside, ticking clock, radio, hot water bottle if a bit chilly.

Our 2 Boerboelle we had slept inside + our 10mth. old Bouvier also does. We have found in the past with our other dogs, 2 Dobies + 1 XBullmastiff / Ridgeback + the Boerboelle, having them sleep in the house actually made better watchdogs out of them. Only 1 of our previous Dobies preferred to sleep outside especially in summer so we allowed her to. She was never a nuicense or disturbance to anybody.

Posted by: TGIF | 2009-09-04

Also, put one of your old T-shirts in the kennel with her, maybe wrap the clock in the T-shirt (be prepared to pick up the pieces of T-shirt all over the yard the next morning). This worked well for me and by the time I ran out of old T-shirts, she was fine outside.

Reply to TGIF
Posted by: Carla | 2009-09-04

Wow, what a reply, interesting, Frankly I agree and disagree with all of you, but that is because we are all in different situations.

To make a doggydoor for a wolf hybrid is impossible so I could just as well leave the door open. At 8 weeks she already weiged 8kg' s and no she is not overweight, just huge.

My Jack Russel sleeps with me in my bed but he is potty trained. Have you ever tried potty training a wolf hybrid. Did both methods, praising when she did it oustside and ignored when she did it inside. The the other method of punishing her does' nt help, she ignore' s me, and I do it hard enough, she does' nt get hurt quite easily.

I will try the clock tonight, that is if she does' nt chew it up.
Thanks for all the info... Nice hearing all of your comments about this subject,

Reply to Carla

Ja and here is another bit of proof why your dogs should be kept safe inside at night - complete with a picture so you really get the message:,,3-975_2540703,00.html

Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-03

Well, Carla - here comes a ' lashing' , such as was meted out to poor Cheryl, who also asked about getting her puppy to sleep outside:

Here' s the sum total of my response to that:

" Frankly, I'  d say she'  s too young to be outside yet. Wait till it'  s properly summer, if you must... personally, my dogs always sleep indoors - it'  s safer for them and for me!" 

Harsh, huh?

(Here, incidentally, is the first part of Cheryl' s response - she was quite obviously overwrought, poor thing:
" Yeah, I was considering letting her sleep inside permanently, she is house trained and besided chewing my one curtain tie-back, she is not too destructive. I do feel safer with her inside especially since she is going to be a big dog...."  Etc)

I guess some people are just a whooooooooooooole lot more sensitive than others....

The ultimate size of your dog, by the way, shouldn' t be all that relevant to whether they sleep inside or out - my German Shepherds always slept indoors, as do my current dogs (one of them larger than a Shepherd).

Maybe my decision that my dogs sleep inside, which seems to be supported by many other forum users, will become easier to understand if you' d read the following: www followed by:,,3-975_2503250,00.html

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2009-09-03

Hi Carla
Personally I let my dogs sleep inside but the decision is yours.
Our neighbour has a husky x wolf that howls all night long and it really is annoying but luckily we are not the type of neighbours that let it rule our lives and have learnt to roll over and go back to sleep.
Chill has given me such sound advice in the past that I feel saddend that Cheryl has taken umbridge to the suggestions given.
My dogs are excellent watchdogs and use the doggy door at night should they wish to go out or just shake their ears to wake me.
I cannot give advice on how to make the transition easier only my experience on having indoor dogs which works for me.
Good luck .

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Cheryl | 2009-09-03

Carla, I have posted a similar question before, trust me, you are going to get a lashing from people like Chill who will tell you not to let the dog sleep outside etc. etc. It is your choice to let your dog sleep inside or outside. Chill also made some b!tchy remark that I am too lazy to houe train my dog and this must be the reason that I want her to sleep outside. Chill does not know me at all or my home environment so her comments mean nothing to me - so perhaps ignore her too.

My dog has a blankie that she loves, and two kennels and plenty of shelter. I put an old clock in her basket and she slept like a baby all night long. I think the key here is perseverance. Good Luck!

Reply to Cheryl