Posted by: Rochelle | 2009-01-26

Sleepless nights

Hi there. My 10year old boy has trouble sleeping. It started when one of his classmates told him horror stories. He knows it& #65533 s not true, but now he can& #65533 t sleep at night. Last night he watched wild life till 8.00pm & #65533  something about bats & #65533  and that kept him up the whole night. He drifts of to sleep but wakes up at least 4 to 5 times during the night. Is he just over sensitive, stressed or what??? Can I give him some medicine or should I take him to a psychologist. We got divorced when he was 6 years old, we had to move and put him in a new school, so why the nightmares after 4 years??? Rochelle

Horror stories or films can indeed have such an effect on kids, but they usually settle down before long. Meanwhile, sympathetically chat to him about his fears, and match them with rational ideas and facts about the situation ( for example, I doubt there are bats wherre you live ). Medicine would not be a great idea in this sort of situation. I such problems continue to trouble him beyond a week or two, seeing a child psychiatrist / psychologist could be useful in seeking an early resolution to this excessive sensitivity.