Posted by: DAPHNE | 2011-07-20

I have never been a fan of my sleep but i like to have my normal sleep patern. I always wake up like 4 times a night but im use to this as this has been my sleeping patern since i can remember. The new problem (adding to this) is that i wake up 3 o clock in the mornings and feel as if i can go and write an exam, so awake as can be. I would lie in bed for hours watching the time go by. Then at 05h30 i would start falling asleep again only to feel like a zombie when my alarm clock goes off at 06h20 :-( What is the reason for this and what can i do to stop this?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Waking up every 90 minutes or so is completely normal - most people just dont remember waking.

Your problem is that you are not getting back to sleep. The most common cause for this is a depression. After that are a number of different causes, including alcohol at bedtime, spending too long in bed, medications, and bad sleep habits.

Discuss the possibility of a depression with your doctor. If that is not the answer, you may need to see a sleep doctor.