Posted by: bulelwa | 2011-05-24

Hi! doctor i have been having serious problems in getting myself to sleep for the past 4 months.i sleep very late at other time during the early hours of the morning ,nothing is on my mind specifically i just sit iin bed and my eyes wide open.please help its affecting my life hense i am always tired

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Try limiting your time in bed: decide what time you are going to get up (7 days a week), and dont stay in bed later than that.

Then go to bed only 7 hours before your waking time - do NOT go to bed earlier, no matter how tired you are.

If you find you are not getting to sleep, DO NOT stay in bed - get up, go to another room and read. As soon as you feel tired, get back into bed. Repeat this as often as is needed.

The first few days you will feel a wreck, but it should settle quite rapidly. If it does not settle quickly, you may need to see a sleep doctor about it.