Posted by: Jess | 2010-04-09

Sleeping with window open and sore throats

Hi! I like to sleep with my window open as I feel warm very quickly (I don''t do this in the middle of winter of course!) but have heard this can make you sick and give you sore throats. Is it true?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Jess

Sore throats are generally caused by bacterial or viral infections. An open window does not "cause " this!

Probably because the cold air from the outside dries the air inside. You're breathing is getting dried out from the lack of humidity. Close the window. I get the same thing too.

Posted by: Jen | 2014-05-31

Everytime I sleep with the window and it is cold outside or slightly cold, I wake up with a sore throat. Also, during this spring, my grandma came to visit from Puerto Rico and she insisted in sleeping with the windows open even though I warned her about the reoccurring colds that have happened to me because of the windows open at night. It was only about 55-65 degrees outside, and she woke up with a sore throat and a cold... just personal experience.

Reply to Jen