Question
Posted by: dw | 2012/09/28

sleeping too much?

I sleep about 10 hours a night and I still wake up exhausted. I have been through a lot of emotional stress in my relationship. My bf who I stay with, says I sleep too much. I am on Trizodone for anxiety which is helping. He says Im depressed. I do sleep to forget about my problems which is him these last couple of weeks. I dont think 10 hours is a lot - is it?

Tr5azodone IS an antidepressant drug, used by some docs for anxiety, too. And it might increase your sleep time. It would depend on the dose as to whether it is sufficient to be effective for depression. 10 hours isnt enormously much, but longer than most people need or choose. Why not arrange to see a psychiatrist for a proper assessment of the possibility of depression, and to look for other possible causes of excessive sleep, and advise about possible counselling to sort out whatever problems you are experiencing at present ?

3

If I''m not mistaken the average amount of sleep an adult needs per night is either between 6-8 hours or 7-9 hours. 10 hours sounds a bit excessive to me.
Sleeping too much can be a contributing to why you feel tired during the day or wake up feeling tired, if you haven''t yet, perhaps try sleeping for a shorter amount of time each night for a week or so and see if you feel beter when you wake up in the morning? If that doesn''t help perhaps see you gp for a check up, or look in to whether you diet or excerise regime could be affecting your energy levels. It''s also definitely worth discussing it with whoever is currently prescribing your medication.

I also used to sleep far more than I knew had too and it was the most pleasant time of the day for me when I could go to bed, I agree with Mistry, it doesn''t help resolve any issues, they''re still there when you wake up.
For me things got entwind and started running in loops. Tired due to physical factors made it harder to deal with problems, both leading to sleeping too much..which just made me feel worse when I woke up and even less willing to face issues.

Posted by: Mistry | 2012/09/28

The unfortunate thing about temporary solution to a problem i.e sleeping, drinking etc is that you wake up/sober up the problem is still there probably bigger, you say ur bf is a problem atleast in the past week, look at what it is he has been doing or saying which has turned him into trouble for you, talk to him and try to work out a solution together.what''s the worst that can happen

as for the duration you sleep i wont comment on that cause i also sleep longer hours and often tired but i do to an extend know the reasons for that. so will wait to hear what other say

Reply to Mistry