Posted by: Roger | 2009-09-14

Sleeping tablets

I am skizo-affective and need to sleep more than most to stay healthy

My psychiatris change my anit-psychotic from Zpyrexa to Risperdal recently, and I feel much better for it, and my pocket is feeling heavier. I was wondering if there is a cost saving alternative as well on the sleeping side of things

I was on 2 zopiclones a night at one stage, but then after discussing it with my psychiatrist we moved to 40mg of Etomine a night - he didn' t like the fact my GP had doubled up on the normal dose of sleeping tablets

While most people dislike the sedating effect of the Etomine, it suits me just fine as that is the purpose I want from it

The only problem I have is the cost, it sets me back R300 a month (although it is still cheaper and I guess more healthy than 2 zopiclones)

Are there any other alternatives, that might be more cost effective? If you have any suggestions I can discuss them with my GP and psychiatrist

I have never heard of any condition in which a person needs to sleep more than the usual person, so as to stay healthy, but I'm sure it's useful for you to be well rested and calm, as it is for all of us. I have seen very good results with risperdal, and there are now generic and cheaper versions available, of the original drug. Your GP and Psychiatrsit will be able to discuss with you what alternatives exist which might be cheaper. I have found Zopiclone usefol for many people, and safe, and there are economical generic versions available.
As Etomine has been around for so long, I'm surprised to hear ( it's not a drug I have prescribed myself ) that it is so expensive.
Sometimes, if one has taken one's usual slleping med at the usual dose, and you're just not getting to sleep, don't lie in bed tossing and urning and worrying about it --- get up, have a warm milky drink and read a book or watch some dull television ( DSTV is becoming reliably boring these days ) until you feel drowsy again, and then go back to bed. The aim is to form the habit of falling asleep in bed, not of being awake and worried.

Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-09-14

I would also like to know as I had 3x zopilone yesterday before I finally fell asleep.

Reply to Zexeon