Question
Posted by: ellen | 2010/03/18

sleeping pill addiction

3 years ago i was admitted to hospital with severe depression and although i had no problem sleeping at the time was prescribed zopiclone and am still taking them. i stopped taking all my other meds for the depression 2 years ago . my Dr has told me im addicted to the sleeping pills and has advised me how to gradually wean myself off, but i just cant get bring myself to do this, on one hand i know its not the best option to be taking these pills but on the other hand i look forward to bedtime knowing that my brain will be shut down until morning. please can you help me in how to change my mindset so that i can stop taking these pills and resume a normal sleeping pattern.
many thanks

Expert ImageArchive

Weaning yourself off sleeping tablets on your own is theoretically a wonderful idea, but in reality is is very difficult.

If you have tried and failed, you know that you are addicted. It seems that you have insight into this fact.

It is stopping that is now of vital importance. You need to get back into the rhythm of sleeping naturally and waking up fresh and revitalised.

Addiction to sleeping tablets is as serious as any other addiction. It is not to be minimised and denied and should be tackled with the same vigour as any other addiction.

You should consult with an addiction counsellor to find a way out of this hell-hole. You can contact Taryn free of charge and she will advise you on your next step.

Her number is Tel: 021 790 7779 or email taryn@harmonyclinic.co.za

1
Posted by: Addictions Expert Forum | 2010/03/19

Reply to Addictions Expert Forum