Question
Posted by: R | 2008/07/02

Sleeping on sides

My baby has been sleeping on her back on a lift wedge (lifted her because of reflux), but her head is going flat at the back, so I want her to sleep on her sides a bit. If I put her on her side with a rolled up towel at her back she just wiggles a bit and she's lying on her back again. What can I do about sleep positions? Almost forgot, she's 3 months old now.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello R,
Consult a paediatric osteopath to resolve the reflux and help with the flattening (moulding) of the skull.

Try lying her on her side on the rounder side of her head. Put light, noise and cuddly toys facing in that direction. Ensure the surface she is lying on is soft. Try placing a small blanket underneath the mattress on the opposite side to which she is facing.

Observe to ensure she is comfortable and doesn't roll in to any awkward positions.

You may be interested in viewing the article on osteopathy for children in the july edition of natural medicine.

Dr Ashburner Paediatric Osteopath