Question
Posted by: Megan | 2010/01/12

Sleeping habit

Please can you help me. I have a 16 month old son. He was 8 weeks prem, so I am over protetive with him. We had him sleep in our room in his camp cot until last week. On Monday we decided to put him into his own bed in his own room. The first 2 days was fine he went to sleep at 7 - 7:30pm &  woke up at about 6am. He drinks up to 700ml during the night, we leave 2 bottles in his cot. Than about the 3 night, he wakes up screaming about 3am. You can not console him. I pick him up and reassure him, but nothing. So I put him back in his bed &  sit on the floor next to his cot for ages. Sometimes when he eventually falls asleep I leopard crawl out his room, but the minute he knows that you are gone he screams. You cant leave him to scream as the 1 time we tried that he made himself vomit all over his bed. About twice I evetually took him to our bed as I need sleep for work the next day. Once he is in our bed he sleeps so well. The first night we realised that he was scared as we had a hanging thing behind his door, which we have now moved. The thing is that why is he doing this. You just carries in screaming and you cant reassure him. Im scared as Im not sure what is wrong. Please can you give me some advise as I dont want to see my baby so upset. He has moved to a new class at creche with a new teacher, so Im not sure is this has anything to do with it. Thanx again

Expert ImageSleep Expert

The darkness may be an issue. Perhaps you should put a night light into his room, for starters.

He needs to learn that while it is OK to wake at night, it is not OK to wake everyone else. When he starts screaming, go to him and check that he is OK. Once you know that he is OK, calm him until the screams reduce to a sniffle - he does not have to be asleep.

Then put him down and walk out. He WILL start screaming again. Give him 3 minutes, and repeat the procedure. This time leave him for 6 minutes. Then 9 minutes. And so on. He may indeed make himself vomit, because that is a really great way to get attention from mother.

If you cant take the screaming (remember, he is not coming to any harm) you can sit quietly in the room - WITHOUT speaking to him - until he is asleep. The point is to send the message that you are there for problems, but once you know there aren't any, then you are not going to reward the screaming by giving him attention. Remember, the point of him doing this is to get attention. You need to teach him that it is not the way to get attention. The best way is for him NOT to wake you, so that he can get loads and loads of loving in the morning.

Good luck.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/01/13

Good luck.

Reply to Sleep expert