Posted by: Cybershrink | 2009-03-03

Sleep Therapy. Replacing Annes message

I have deleted your recent message, and you unwisely and unhelpfully posted the name of a specific doctor, who should have been kept anonymous by you. I know nothing whatever about this doctor, or his practice --- my comments were about a thoroughly discredited treatment which nobody I know uses or recommends. A manic episode certainly does need observation ( if it is severe ) and sedation with properly chosen antipsychotic, and maybe even other, drugs. Maybe you are misinterpreting ordinary and routine and proper sedation in hospital during a severe manic episode, with "Sleep Therapy", the discredited method I was talking about. What you seem to be descriing now, sounds like pretty standard and competent treatment of a severe maniic phase in a Bipolar Disorder. And this is NOT Sleep Therapy. Are you sure he called it Sleep Therapy ? Or was he simply describing what to expect during a period of a few days of extra sedation ? So, I stand by what I said about Sleep Therapy as it is usually practiced ; but these are not comments on the specific doctor you mention. As you have chosen to forwad my earlier comments to his office, to send on these additional comments, too.

Not seeing a reply from Anne, let me clarify again. In a posting yesterday mornin, she named her psychiatrist, something I strongly recommend one should not do --- in the forum I am commenting on questions about treatments in general, and cannot know enough about any individual case and why any doctor made a specific decision in a specific case, to com ment directly on the doctor.
She also gave furehr details making it sound very unlikely that the treatment she received, which she called "Sleep Therapy" was actually what psychiatrists and other docs would call Sleep Therapy ; perhaps due to a misunderstanding of how whatever treatmnt she did receive, was explained to her.
Thus I deleted her mesage in which she named her doc and said she had sent a copy of our discussion to him via his receptionist, and asked her to also send my follow-on comments. I hope she has done so.

Posted by: eish | 2009-03-03

Reply to eish