Posted by: confused | 2009-03-02

Sleep therapy &  depression

I was diagnosed with depression and I suffer with anger as well. The psycologist recommended that I get booked into hospital for sleep therapy for at least 7-10 days. Does sleep therapy help for depression? Surely when you wake up you still have all your problems with you! I don' t know what to do!

NO. ANYBODY who recopmmends Sleep Therapy is a quack and absol;utely not to be trusted. In fact, I think they ought to be reported to the Health Professions COuncil. "Sleep Therapy" is total and utter quackery --- it is dangerous and utterly without any benefits. Not one single competent psychiatrist or psychologist on the face of the earth recommends it. If ANY shrink recommends it,get up and run out of the consulting room --- run, don't walk, and never go back. I would also notify his receptionist that, having recei9ved dangerous and quack advice, you will not pay for any consultation that ended so perilously.
It is am utter disgrace to South African medicine and the Dept of Health, that anybody in this country is still able to offer such a useless and dangerous treament. Any clinic that enables it to take place, should be closed down, and any health professional who takes part in it should be removed from the register and no longer allowed to practice.
In the 1950's and 1060's some people did sincerely use variations of sleep therapy, in the mistaken but honest belief that it might be helpful. Since the 1970's there has been no possible excuse for anyone to offer, allow, or enable such "therapy" to take place, and only a practitioner wholly lacking in current, up-to-date understanding of medicine, could offer it.
DO NOT ACCEPT any such treatment.
Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) a talking therapy has loads of good research showing that it is safe and effective in managing depression, and also anger problems ; and there are many different antidepressant medications that are also very useful. There isn't one single scrap of good esearch showing that "Sleep therapy" is safe or effective.

I totally agree with the comment above and these dr's should be shot.

Posted by: IRememberEverything | 2009-03-02

Sleep therapy will help adjust your sleep paterns and get you into a better routine, but then that will take longer than 10 days i think...

Reply to IRememberEverything