Posted by: Susan | 2011-05-26

Sleep problems

Good day. I have been taking lexotan 3mg (a benzo)for anxiety for about a year. to fall asleep. the 3mg doesnt seem to work anymore. I have decided to rather taper it than increase it. I am nowon 1.5mg at night. Now I am really tossing and turning. I get so desperate by 1am that I somteimes then drink half a stilnox which seems to work. Please advise I want to establish healthy sleeping habits.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

If your basic problem is anxiety, then you should see a psychiatrist about it.

However, if you are just anxious BECAUSE of the insomnia, then you should see a sleep doctor or psychologist with an interest in sleep. The technique used is called "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy", and is more effective than medication in that instance.