Question
Posted by: D | 2009-05-13

sleep paralysis/night terrors/old hag syndrome/nightmares

I suffer with this problem, use to be alot when I was younger but now on occassion, the strange thing is my brothers who are 12 years younger than me and are twins experience the same, my older sister 2 and a half years older that is doesnot experience it.
I have done research and gotten some explanations, just wanna know what your thoughts are scientifically?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Sleep paralysis, nightmares, night terrors etc are all different conditions. There is a genetic basis to them. They are only of concern if they are excessively distressing, or if they are interfering with your daytime functioning. In that case, you should get to see a sleep doctor.

1
Posted by: Dewald | 2009-07-08

I have experienced sleep paralysis a few times now, i wake up fully aware of what is happening around me but i cant move my body at all, it is terrifying, i try as hard as i can to move a part of my body and after a while i wake up with a bang. I am scared to go to sleep at night knowing it might happen again. It feels if i might die once it happens. I am 31 years old and have lately been under extreme tress and i think i suffer from anxity. What can i do to make it go away?

Reply to Dewald