Question
Posted by: Carel | 2010/11/25

Sleep Paralysis

I Have ben suffering from SP since i was about 7 years old.. I get these attacks often and i realize not a lot of people have them..

There is one thing though i cant understand.. I''ve had a dream one night about me and my dog running in a dark forest.. when i woke up from the dream i realised im having an episode of SP. But this was different .. as i was lying there paralysed i all of a sudden saw my dog jumping up my bed - now i have a huge dog and he is not in the house at all - allways outside. the dog was just sitting on my bed ontop of me and as soon as i got my movement back the dog was just gone.

What on earth was that about ? that never happens to any of my SP attacks ?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

What you had was an episode of "hypnagogic hallucinations". During the dream phase of sleep, the muscles become paralysed. In your case, this paralysis is lasting beyond the sleep phase. What you are describing is a continuation of the dream into the period when you are already awake!

However, both of these are typical manifestations of a condition called narcolepsy. If you are having attacks of daytime sleepiness, you should consult someone about this, because it is possible that this is the condition you may have.

2
Posted by: newagelady | 2011/01/19

I had exactly the same kinda experience... I also have been having sleep paralysis since a young age - only found out last year what it was called -though I was possessed at times. But regarding the dog dream you had. I have a new kitten - and having slept really badly lately I decided that evening she would be sleeping in the bathroom when it came to 02h00 in the morning. I closed the bathroom door and my door. And I woke up feeling the kitten jump on me and seeing her. I just though damn how did that happen and fell back asleep not going to get up again. When I woke at 05h00 the doors were still obviously closed and the kitten in the bathroom. Weird. So tired of Sleep Paralysis and Insomnia and not liking the idea that I have something else to fit the bill.....narcolepsy....ok let me google further. Good luck Carel

Reply to newagelady
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/11/26

Reply to Sleep expert