Question
Posted by: Liezl | 2012-09-04

Sleep during pregnancy

I am 8 weeks pregnant and I am battling to sleep. I understand that it happens during pregnancy, but what can I do to get a bit more rest? Another problem is that my partner snores at night and I have to kick him in his side to stop, but he snores so much that it is impossible for me to sleep.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Firstly, insist that he gets help for his snoring. Apart from anything else, 50% of snorers have a condition called sleep apnoea, and people who have this can have double the death rate of normals. So there are good reasons from both your side and his to have his snoring fixed.

From your side of things, the key is routine. Do not go to bed too early, thinking that you need more sleep. Go to bed at a regular time, and get up at a regular time. If you are not sleeping, sit quietly and read until you feel sleepy enough. Tossing and turning is not going to achieve anything, and will just make you more anxious about your sleep.