Question
Posted by: Kyle | 2012-06-27

Sleep Disorder

Hi There

I suffered from depression and was in a clinic a few years back, and have since then been off medication for 2 years.

Here is my scenario: I wake up at any time during the night, and am fully awake, but see what i was dreaming, for instance. i woke up one night , and i was smoking, and i dropped the cigarette behind my bed. for the next hour, i moved everything in my room around to find out that i had infact not been smoking! i also wake up to find spiders all over my bed or ants everywhere in the room. i may wake up on my chair screaming and seeing these things or wake up in the bar room having a conversation with someone or arguing with someone who is there...and then vanishes after a while!

It sounds very weird, and i have consulted my doctor, he laughed at me! but when i came back a 2nd time, he suggested i go for sleep studies. id just like to know if you have any idea what this could be or how to treat it! i am 20 years old.

Thank you.

So, am I understanding here, these are unusually vivid and realistic dreams, such that when you wake you still think they are real, and then these fade ? YOur doctor was realyl foolish to have laughed at you. There are things called Hypnogogic and Hypnopompic Hallucinations ( fancy words ! ) which describe NORMAL but puzzling experiences similar to dreaming, in which either just as one is drifting off to sleep, or while one is drifting out of sleep, one may see / hear / experience things which are not really there but are highly convinving, which then fade away as you return fully to reality.
Its not clear why only some people experience these, and why some experience them more often and distressingly. If there is access to a proper sleep expert / sleep lab, they will be better able to check on this and related possibility, and advise on how best to manage it.
They don't do harm ( other than being alarming ) ; they don't represent serious mental illness ; they may arise or become troublesome at times when one is otherwise under stress ; and they usually fade away without explanation

2
Posted by: Sanet | 2012-06-29

Hi sleep disorder! I have exactly the same problem. I actually thought I was the only one on this planet that has this. I tried to go for therapy to sleeping pills to whatever. I still have it. Hypnosis doesn''t work because you are too ''awake''. Your mind is spinning for some weird apparent reason. Start counting.... It works. Or read a book. Ok it only works for one minute (but it''s better than nothing). Otherwise just have good thoughts.

Reply to Sanet