Posted by: Amom | 2012-04-02

Sleep deprived

I generally do not sleep through the night. I wake up everytime I turn over (I am quite overweight). And I have a 9 month old baby, who has been waking during the night due to teething. I seem to be averaging about 4-5 hours of sleep a night. I am very tired and work full time, so cannot catch up sleep during the day.
I''ve noticed that my memory has been very poor lately - could it be related to my lack of sleep? Is there anything I can do or vitamins I should take to help my memory? I don''t see my sleeping habits changing (especially with a baby).

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Your memory problems are very likely from the lack of sleep. If you are waking a lot for reasons other than your baby waking you, it may be that you have a problem with the quality of your sleep, as well as the quantity (which is clearly not enough, for starters).

You should get help to work out whether there is something that can be done to get a better quality of sleep. Bear in mind that it is actually completely normal to wake about every 90 minutes or so, but 4-5 hours is also, almost certainly, way too little.

I am confident that a sleep doctor will be able to help. I dont think that supplements or other medications will be of much use.