Question
Posted by: Weim Mom | 2011/11/01

Sleep Deprived

Good day. I have a 6 1/2 year old Weimeraner Male. He insists on going out at least twice during each night. He wakes me up by scratching the side of my bed. If I don''t let him out he messes in the house. I am rather miserable and sleep deprived and was wondering if at his age it is necessary to out so often during the night or is he just being naughty.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Weim Mom, lovely to hear from you, i love Weims!! I really would take him to the vet for a check up just to make sure all ok physically. It could have become a habit, but he is now in his 'senior' years and this is often when physical concerns start. It could even be a kidney/bladder infection. What i would suggest you do is make an appointment at the vet and at the same time ask him/her what you should be looking out for i.e. how often urinating during day, is it the normal urination or small amounts etc. We spend 24/7 with our dog as oppossed to a vet that has a short time period, and the more info we can give vets, the more they are able to help our dogs. Good luck, i do hope all sorts out well and do let me know. If it is not a physical concern, then do contact me again. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/11/02

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert