Posted by: Nancy | 2012-11-29

Sleep deprivation

Hi CS,

When I had my children I decided to breastfeed and it turned out that I had to feed every hour and a half. It takes me a long time to fall asleep again and I was living on three hours of sleep a night and working a full day. Consequently I became irritable and was hallucinating and making mistakes at work. It is now five years later and I do get up at night but not as often as before. I feel really down if I do not get enough sleep. Can sleep deprivation be linked to depression?

Yes indeed it can, though of course depression, like sleep problems, can have a wide range of different causes, so its best to see a good GP, maybe even a psychiatrist, for a full assessment to help identify what is troubling you here, and what's the best way to deal with it

Posted by: Maria | 2012-11-29

Yes, there is a definite link. I suggest you see a doctor to help you.

Reply to Maria