Posted by: Brad | 2012-03-29

Sleep concerns - very worried

I am a 38 year old male who is quite overweight. I had issues with blood pressure, but that was minor. For the last two years, my snoring has apparently got progressively louder. My partner has said that I sometimes gasp for air while asleep. In fact, while falling asleep, I have often woken up with the feeling that I need air as I have not taken a breath. I am now waking up 4 to 6 times a night. In fact, I don''t know when last I had a full night''s sleep. The problem is that I had this issue even prior to gaining weight and one of things I actually don''t experience is tiredness during the day, as most people with apnoea would talk about. What should I do?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

You definitely need to be checked out for a sleep-related breathing disorder. It tends to build up so slowly that one does not always become aware of the effects until you treat it, when the difference suddenly becomes obvious.

I would strongly advise that you make your way to a sleep doctor.