Posted by: Sinus Cripple | 2011-07-10

Sleep breathing

Please can you advise me.
I have had numerous sinus ops. which the last ENT said to me I am what he would term a sinus cripple.
I have also been diagnozed with mild sleep apnae, was given a snore guard, which i cant use because of trouble with my jaw.

I am not waking up refreshed in the mornings. I am always feeling tired and struggling to keep my weight down even though am walking 5km 5x a week.

The odd occassions when I have been up in the mountains and the air is cooler and I am able to breath easier I actually wake up refreshed and without my constant throbbing.

Should I get myself a humidifier or nebulizer or how would I go about finding if I need a CPAP machine which I am weary of as I get claustophobic with anything over my nose.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Sinus Cripple

You should confirm your diagnosis of sleep apnoea syndrome (OSAS) with a sleep study performed in an acreditted sleep lab. Your options then include:
1. CPAP (various masks an machines available). Make sure the company gives good service, before and after you
purchase a machine - your ENT may suggest some companies)
2. Opinion of a Maxillo-Facial surgeon regarding your mandible (jaw)
3. Humidification is always helpful