Question
Posted by: Batwoman | 2010/07/14

SLEEP APNOEA

I have been twice to the sleep clinic and was tested positive. I have been told to wear a mask a pap something mask all night and for the rest of my days I am horrified as it looks terrible( I will never be able to remarry now) and though it is supposed to stop me from losing my breathe while I sleep, why does it have to be so heavy and cover most of myface down the centre. I suffer from asthma as well so it shall help using it with oxygen.I need to know is there one that does not cover my entire face or one that can just cover the nose.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

I am a little surprised that you were not given a choice of masks. The most commonly used type is one which just covers the nose, but there are even ones which just plug into the nostrils.

Because you also have asthma, it is even more important that your sleep apnoea is properly treated - the combination of asthma and sleep apnoea is not a good one. It is usually not necessary to use it with oxygen, but your chest specialist will advise you about that.

Dont fret about what a bed partner might think - you put this mask on AFTER the lights are out. A bed partner will be much happier that you are sleeping peacefully and healthily, than have to cope with a racket all night which can be as loud as a vuvuzela, wondering if you are dying every time he hears you stop breathing, and having a partner who is awake enough when she should be, to be a real partner.

About 10% of men have the same problem, so the chances are good that you will meet someone who is also on this machine!

2
Posted by: Mark Isaac | 2010/08/19

i have sleep apnoea symptoms how do i get treatment

Reply to Mark Isaac
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/07/15

Reply to Sleep expert