Question
Posted by: Delene | 2010/04/20

Sleep apnea treatment

I suffer from sleep apnea and take meds for Arterial Fibrilation. My AF is under ocntrol, but I''m worried about the effect of the apnea on my heart.
I cannot think of the idea having to sleep with a CPAP mask - is there any alternative treatment for my problem? Does it help to raise your head on 2 or more pillows?
Where can I get more info re. altrnative treatment?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

There is no realistic alternative. You stop breathing at night with atrial fibrillation, you increase your chances of fatal disease many times. Raising your head on pillows will not help in the least. The only alternative is to have a permanent tracheostomy - that is to say a hole put into your throat. I think CPAP is a better option.

2
Posted by: Karien | 2010/05/05

I have been using the CPAP for about 2 months now and feel much better. The mask of the CPAP is my only problem as it affects (I get an irritation on my skin like pimples) my nose but I am trying something else so it could fit properly and don''t irritate me. I feel much more energetic.

Reply to Karien
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/04/21

Reply to Sleep expert