Question
Posted by: Sam | 2012-11-05

Sleep apnea machine

My father is a type 1 diabetic for the past 30 years. He is 61. Last year he was diagnosed with sleep apnea and has received his small machine in march this year. I researhed quite a bit before he received it, to see what the benefits were. He would have more energy, sleep less etc. Now 8 months later, he is still tired all the time even though he sleeps with the machine on every night, what can cause this. Any advice will be appreciated.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

There may be a problem with the setting of the machine - it must be set to the correct pressure, and a mistake is sometimes made there.

If he has an automatic machine, then it sometimes takes too long to build up to the pressure he needs, so that he does not get the full benefit. You will need to discuss this with the doctor who prescribed it. In this case we sometimes find it better to switch the machine to manual setting.

There is also a small group of people where the machine does not appear to work properly, because there are partial airway obstructions rather than full obstructions (Respiratory related Arousals - RERAs - instead of apnoeas) and the machine will not effectively treat these.

If your doctor does not have knowledge of these things, he should refer you to someone who does.

Alternatively, the fatigue may be from some other cause, for example the diabetes, low testosterone, etc. You may need to get a specialist physician to check him out.

But I would start with the machine settings.