Posted by: renee | 2012-06-05

Sleep Apnea / ENT / Maxilo Surgery ? CPAP

I have beed diagnosed with Sleep apnea and a CPAP machine has been recommended at a price I cannot afford. My medication aid pays only a tiny fraction of the price. I consulted a MaxilloFacial surgeon as an option, but he says I am not a surgery candidate as my airways etc are wide enough. He has recommended I see a ENT. Now, will seeing an ENT make a difference to the Apnea with regards to my stopping breathing when I sleep, the loud snoring and actually getting rest while I sleep?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

The ENT will be able to do certain operations which will be useful for the snoring, but which are not especially successful for the apnoea. Our experience has been that 50% of patients who undergo this type of surgery will return within 6 months because the problem has returned.

There are certain dental devices available which pull the jaw forward while you sleep. The cheap ones, unfortunately, are not very successful. the better ones will be useful for the milder cases of apnoea, but also will cost about half the price of a CPAP machine.