Question
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2012-02-21

Sleep Apnea Diagnoses

Hi there,
Could you please tell me what will the negative effect be if I am unable to afford the machine to help with the sleep apnea?
I went for tests and it indicated that I possibly suffered from sleep apnea, it showed that I never go into the REM part of sleep. Further tests were done and it was confirmed that I do have sleep apnea, should get the machine and it must run on 9, whatever that means. What should I do?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Sleep apnoea carries a 23 times higher risk of heart attack, and double the overall mortality rate, so there are indeed very serious consequences to not treating the condition.

Your best bet by far is to beg, borrow or steal the money for the machine. Ultimately it is well worth it. There are some other options, but those will depend on how bad your condition is. You should discuss those with the doctor who is treating you.