Question
Posted by: john | 2011/10/21

sleep apnea

hi doc
been told i have sleep apnea, my ent said there is not much that can be done, i heard there is a machine i can use at night to help pump oxygen into my nose, is this machine pricey ? and how dangerous is sleep apnoea

Expert ImageSleep Expert

There is LOTS that can be done, and that must be done. Severe sleep apnoea can increase your risk of having a heart attack 23 times, and it doubles your risk of death from all causes.

Get to see a sleep doctor, who will be able to confirm whether or not you actually have it (it cannot be diagnosed clinically alone - tests must be done), and who can then advise you about treatment options.