Question
Posted by: Thinking | 2011/09/14

Sleep and wakefullness

Most days, I don''t feel well. I wake up tired and throughout the day it''s like I''m only half-awake. Literally. I hear but i have difficulty listening and paying attention in general. I also get headaches and feel like I might vomit anytime. Sometimes I even feel like my head is falling even when I''m standing (like when you''re just about to fall asleep).

Today, I felt wonderful in the morning but by 3:30 pm I was very tired and unable to concentrate.

The strange thing is that I''m not " just"  tired. I can be clumsy and drop things a lot but the moment they fall, I " wake up"  just in time to catch them. The adrenaline makes me feel much more awake. It''s the same if something happens and I suddenly need to get a lot done quickly.

But unfortunately, adrenaline isn''t there often, and most of the time I feel tired, depressed, anxious and about 40% of the time I wish I was dead. I will never commit suicide, it''s just the thought of how peaceful it would be.

What bothers me is not so much how I feel but the fact that i run the risk of losing my friends as I''m not as interesting as before. In my poor physical condition, I actually struggle to say things that make sense. But I believe I sound very awkward.

I don''t know if I feel like this because I am " depressed" , or if I am " depressed"  because of this. I wouldn''t say actually depressed because I love most things in this world, and have so many interests. I keep hoping one day I''ll feel healthy and more able to enjoy them.

I sleep between 7-8 hours a night, not less and not more because otherwise my head feels very heavy in the morning too.
Other than this, I have bothersome chronic digestive problems (bloating and gas), which might also be the cause.

There are various possible explanations for this unpleasant state of affairs. As Liz says, ONE of those might be Sleep Apnoea, but others could include Depression and other conditions. At least see a really good GP, better, see a specialist psychiatrist for a full assessment, and a discussion of diagnosis and treatment options.

2
Posted by: Lin | 2011/09/14

Ask your gp to refer you to a sleep clinic. It could be that you suffer from a condition called sleep apnea - alot of the symptoms you describe sounds like the symptoms of sleep apnea.
You only need to spend one night at a sleep clinic and the can tell you whether it is apnea.

Reply to Lin