Question
Posted by: maria | 2012-03-12

S.L.E

I am a counselor at a school and recently saw a 18 year old girl who was diagnosed with S.L.E 4 years ago. she takes medication for it everyday, but does not really know what the disease is. I do not know either. She has recently gained a lot of weight, she does not know whether there are food she must avoid or food that can help her condition, she also does not know what exercises she can do because her joints pain. She is really unhappy with her condition and herself and I just want to help her. She is in matric and wants to look good for the matric dance, but she is overweight and struggling with her condition. What exercise, diet and medical advice can you give me that can help her. She does not have a medical aid and cannot go and see a dietician. Any advice you can give me will be appreciated.

Hi Maria

I must confess I'd be going outside my scope to talk about the treatment of this disease. She's obviously been diagnosed, but it sounds like perhaps there's a lot of understanding missing, and perhaps the doctor hasn't explained it. I assume she is being treated for it?

The typical treatment is symptomatic - it has "phases" and includes using anti-inflammatories, steroid meds and sometimes immunosuppressants. Obviously, you don't want to be using those all the time, but this is why it's so vital to manage in consultation with a doctor. Now, I appreciate that cost, and the lack of medical aid, that makes it very tough, but this is someone's health, and it's a condition that really does "demand' that kind of treatment. So I think it's vital to do this, and the same goes for diet.

I looked around for some information, and found this site quite helpful and relatively easy to understand: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Systemic-Lupus-Erythematosus.htm

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012-03-17

Hi Maria

Reply to fitnessdoc