Posted by: maria | 2012-03-12

I am a counselor at a school and recently saw a 18 year old girl who was diagnosed with S.L.E 4 years ago. she takes medication for it everyday, but does not really know what the disease is. I do not know either. She has recently gained a lot of weight, she does not know whether there are food she must avoid or food that can help her condition, she also does not know what exercises she can do because her joints pain. She is really unhappy with her condition and herself and I just want to help her. She is in matric and wants to look good for the matric dance, but she is overweight and struggling with her condition. What exercise, diet and medical advice can you give me that can help her. She does not have a medical aid and cannot go and see a dietician. Any advice you can give me will be appreciated.

Is she on any chronic medication? If so, please be so kind as to advise what medication she is using. It will be very difficult to use weight, especially if she is being treated with cortisone. The crux of the matter is that she will have to take in less kilojoules and to exercise regularly. Refer to the following article for detailed information about her condition, treatment thereof:

Also refer to the following article regarding good exercise options for SLE patients: