Question
Posted by: Immran | 2009/07/07

SLE

My daughter (9 years old) has been diagnosed with SLE(Lupus) and is currently under chronic medication. She has picked up a lot of weight since starting the medication and at times speaks of suicide in anger.Should I seek counselling for her although she has never really attempted anything of this sort.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Immran
Yes - please let her see a child psychologist - it is a heavy burden for a child to be diagnosed with a chronic disease, and then to have to take medication that can cause physical changes ( it may be due to cortisone that she is picking up weight?)