Question
Posted by: Hope | 2009-01-28

Sky Burial

Dear Expert

When I die I would like to leave my remains to the vultures. Surely it is my constitutional right to do so.

What are legal proceedures does one follow to get permittion / a lisence for this and are there suitable venues?

Kind Regards
Hope

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

As far as I am currently aware it is unfortunately not legal to do this in South Africa, and I think most countries. To have a 'sky burial' you'd need to travel to Tibet or India and probably have to join the Zoroastrian faith, which might very tricky or even impossible for a foreigner...

That said, it's a while since I wrote on the "green burial" topic, and more options might have become available. so I will look into it again in the near future.