Question
Posted by: Mari | 2010/04/08

skull cracking

i have no idea how to diagnose my head ache,
It hurts in my ears and there is alot of preassure on my left side of my head just a small anount on the right.
everytime i stand up it feels like my brain is going to explode out of my skull. i am very tired and cold. im young and as far as i know healthy, can it be related to hormones since it is that time of the month?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Mari,

If you have a regular cycle, then it means that your hormone levels are normal. Headaches related to changes in hormone levels usually indicate that the body is responding in an abnormal way to the normal hormone fluctuations that occur during the menstrual cycle.

The only way to deal with the problem is to diagnose why your body is reacting abnormally to your normal hormone fluctuations. It is important to remember that the change in hormone levels is only a trigger, not the underlying cause of the pain. To find out why your body reacts in this way, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. This must include an assessment of the tension in the head and neck muscles. There are so many different structures in the head and neck are, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, you need the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables us to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: April | 2010/06/02

I have this headache and no matter what i take, it just won''t go away, my doc says it may be something to do with sinus problem, but i''m not sure what its caused by, i just woke up with it, but when i hear cars drive by the noise runs through my head like a growling noise not a thump noise, its like a engine going off in my head all the time, i don''t know whats causing it...

Reply to April
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/04/09

Dear Mari,

Reply to Headache expert