Posted by: Sam | 2009-09-15

Skipping Rope

Hi there.

I read on the Internet that rope jumping is really good for all over muscle toning. I am battling to tone my butt and tummy area. I skip rope about 3 times a week, and do anything between 100 and 200 jumps on the day. How should I adjust my skipping routine, in order to start toning from this form of exercise?

Hi Sam

Skipping is a really high intensity exercise, which in theory is good because of its high intensity. HOwever, my experience is that because it's so repetitive and localized (that is, you will feel your calves really take strain if you skip for a longer time), it's not the ideal activity from a practical point of view, because you just can't do it for that long. My advice though is that instead of throwing it out, you build it into some sort of overall programme - perhaps you can jog for 5 minutes, then skip, then jog for another 5, do some pushups, crunches etc. - sort of an overall training circuit that includes skipping. I think that this variety will be good for you and it also helps you work on other muscles too.