Question
Posted by: Janet | 2008/10/28

Skipping rope

I currently walk about 5km per day (it takes about 1 hour). I would like to start skipping rope as I heard that it' s a great exercise. How long should I skip to get the same benefits as walking?

Hi Janet

I'd caution against trying to replace running with skipping - rather add it, or take some of the time and use it for skipping, maybe walk 4km instead. The problem with skipping is that it's very high intensity, which in theory is good because of its high intensity. HOwever, my experience is that because it's so repetitive and localized (that is, you will feel your calves really take strain if you skip for a longer time), it's not the ideal activity from a practical point of view, because you just can't do it for that long. My advice though is that instead of throwing it out, you build it into some sort of overall programme - perhaps you can jog for 5 minutes, then skip, then jog for another 5, do some pushups, crunches etc. - sort of an overall training circuit that includes skipping. I think that this variety will be good for you and it also helps you work on other muscles too.