Posted by: Tri | 2009-03-10

Hi. I am trying to loose weight. I am on a healthy eating plan. I dnt have acess to gym. I do skip and would like to know for how long should i skip for to get results. I also brisk walk 2-3 times a wk for about 30min. Plz help. Thanx.

HI Tri

Skipping is a really high intensity exercise, which in theory is good because of its high intensity. HOwever, my experience is that because it's so repetitive and localized (that is, you will feel your calves really take strain if you skip for a longer time), it's not the ideal activity from a practical point of view, because you just can't do it for that long.

My advice though is that instead of throwing it out, you build it into some sort of overall programme - perhaps you can jog for 5 minutes, then skip, then jog for another 5, do some pushups, crunches etc. - sort of an overall training circuit that includes skipping. I think that this variety will be good for you and it also helps you work on other muscles too.

Posted by: Tes | 2009-03-10

Skipping is great! You should aim to do about 3 - 4 sets of 5min each during the day. Eg. do 5min x 2 in the morning and anther 5min x 2 in the evening. In total 20mins per day. I guess you could start off with 10 min per day and work your way up!
Keep up the walking as well  -)

Reply to Tes