Question
Posted by: gweneth | 2012/03/18

skinoren

hi DOC
I have heard and read skinoren can be used for hyper pigmentation and the results are quite good, in your opionion is this correct ?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Gweneth, thank you for the question.

As far as I am aware Skinoren is only indicated (medically speaking) for the treatment of acne however it has been found that azelaic acid also reduces melanin production by inhibiting (largely indirectly) the enzyme tyrosinase.

It also suppresses the proliferation of abnormal melanin producing cells (melanocytes), apparently by reducing the rate of DNA synthesis. Azelaic acid has been used to treat melasma, lentigo maligna and other hyperpigmentation problems. Topical azelaic acid has no or little depigmentation effect on normally pigmented skin, freckles, age spots (solar lentigines), and nevi.

Please note that there are possible side effects such as: local skin reactions, photosensitivity reactions (avoid the sun), skin rash, and facial oedema.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2012/03/22

Hi Gweneth, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert