Question
Posted by: ZD | 2010/05/17

Skin with acne

Dear Dr,
I am 30 years old, and my skin is oily and dehydrated, but it also has acne.
I have black pigmentation and scars because of the acne. I went to the laserderm clinic and they suggested I start off with the salicylic peel every 2 weeks. What do you suggest I do to better my skin, and what can I do to remove scarred tissue?
I am currently using environ, which sunscreen would be best for my skin?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi ZD, thank you for the question. Salicylic acid peels are specifically indicated for the treatment of acne and a 2 weekly regime should only be used for a short duration – till the acne begins to improve and then one peel every 4 to 6 weeks should be adequate. Before deciding on a separate treatment for the scarring one can wait to see the effect of the salicylic acid peels (after 3 to 4 months) but if you are not happy with the improvement one may consider fractional ablative treatments such as Fraxel, Palomar Starlux, Matrix RF (Sublative RF), Ultrapulse FX, etc. My recommendation for a SPF is that it is oil free, has a 50 factor or higher and contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.For our acne and oily skin patients we use the Heliocare Gel SPF 50 as it is oil free.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/05/22

Reply to anti-ageing expert