Posted by: sipho - 32yrs | 2009-02-24

Skin Warts

I have wart-like things growing mainly on the white skin of the hand, I remember that I had one as early as when I was 15yrs on my left index finger. It would grow and I would cut it with nail klippers, and it would grow within a few weeks. Over the past three years they seem to have multiplied, the original one is still there, I have two next to each other on the right index finger on the white skin, third one just beind the two at the back of the hand, one at the tip of the right middle finger on the white skin. Not sure if it is related, but around 98 to 2000 had one painful one on my right foot sole just behind the big toe. Had to go to a GP who burnt it with some ectrode and went away after two attempts. I decided to have it attended to because it became unbearable to walk. I noticed that my three yrs old son also had some of these on his fingers as early as 1 yr old. Please assist.

Dear Sipho
Warts are caused by a virus and most kids get them one or other time in their lives. With many people they just disappear eventually due to an immune reaction but in some people it can be persistent. The best way to treat them is by freezing them with fluid nitrogen or cauterizing them like the GP did. The best doctor to treat this for you is a dermatologist.

Posted by: mari | 2009-04-20

I have had a persistant wart-like thing on my thumb. It has been cut open by a Dr and the inside removed. However it grew back and a second Dr cut the entire section out and stitched up the skin only for it to regrow once again. It swells up and is stituated on the knucle I then find it dificult to bend my thumb and then stick a needle in it and a white clear yelly type sticky substance comes but this continues to fill up. I can cut the hard part off but a small hole stays and the hard skin forms the wart-like growth around the area again. I was told it could be a " glangian"  or something to that effect.

What can I do to get rid of it?

Reply to mari